Temptation, thy name be Caramel Corn

Here's my first ever blog recipe. (That I can remember.) Several people have asked me for my caramel corn recipe, which isn't actually mine, I got it off the internet. But, I have tweaked it slightly. So, since I'm on a never-ending quest to be just like my little sister, she has some really great recipes posted on her blog, I'm posting this one for you all to try. Trust me - you won't be disappointed.
Caramel Corn

INGREDIENTS :
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 quarts air-popped popcorn


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.
***That's the recipe from the internet. I have found that 1/2 cup of unpopped popcorn kernels pops up to be just the perfect amount of popcorn for this recipe. Also, I divide the popped popcorn between two glass 8 x 12 pans before I pour the caramel on top. These pans fit nicely side by side in the oven. Also, the deeper dish makes for less of a mess when you stir it every 15 minutes. Also, I never leave it in the oven for the whole hour. I always take it out after 30 minutes (if you like it chewy) or 45 minutes (for a little harder deliciousness).
***Bon Appetit!
Warning: This stuff is like crack. Here's Riley taking a tray to the Francis' outdoor movie night. (That was really fun, by the way. Thanks, Kliss!)

Comments

Laurie said…
Just like crack!! (not that I know)! I've been hanging out at the lamppost waiting for my carmel corn dealer and she is always off at footbal practice! What kind of dealer are you lady? I need my fix!!!
Kelli said…
You are so funny...just like crack :) Our family has a major addiction to caramel corn, we could eat that stuff all the time! Thanks for posting a new yummy recipe! I will have to try it soon. BTW, I got your message about super saturday like 4 days after. I'm so sorry! Maybe we'll make jam next year and I can bring apricots ;)
The Dragonfly said…
Lynne,

Link away! The caramel corn looks delish, but I'm one of those who can't eat it because it seriously gets imbedded in my gums.

Your daughter is seriously cute!
Kendells said…
Thanks for sharing with us it was so yummy. I will have to try making it someday.
Adrienne said…
Mmmm, caramel corn. I can add it to my numerous other addictions!! Sounds so good, I can't wait to try it. Also, I love the new picture of your kids, they are the cutest!!