Friday Fun

Back in the day...when we lived in Alabama and I drove Trent and Riley to and from school, we started a tradition we call Friday Fun. We would celebrate the successful end of a school week and the beginning of the weekend by enjoying a special treat after school. Sometimes I would bring them something yummy to eat in the car on the way home, other times it was a small toy, or we would stop on the way home and get ice cream or some other kind of treat.

We've continued this tradition in Utah where they walk to school, or in Trent's case, the bus stop. They know when they get home from school on Friday, that there will be something yummy and home made waiting for them. I usually let one of them pick something on Friday morning, or sometimes I let one of their friends decide what I will make, or else they get surprised. Some favorites are banana bread, brownies, caramel corn, sugar cookies(usually around a holiday) and chocolate chip cookies. This morning, however, when I polled everyone to see what they wanted for Friday Fun, the decision was unanimous.

Cinnamon Rolls.

So, I thought I'd share how I do it. I mean, if someone else had something this easy and delicious, I would want to know how to make it, too. It's almost embarrassing how easy it is. And to give credit where credit is due, I learned everything I know from my dear friend, Kymber...I think I'll blog about her. If you don't know her, I'm so sorry. She is amazing. Anyway, back to the cinnamon rolls.


I start with the regular white bread recipe that came in the instruction manual to my bread maker. But, instead of making the bread, just put it on the dough setting. In 1 1/2 hours, you'll have perfect dough.


Just a note about the bread maker. This one was given to me as a "just-because" gift from my mother-in-law when she came to visit last summer. If it looks a little beat-up, that's because it is. A few months ago when it was dutifully making me some pizza dough, it walked off the counter during the kneading process and broke into pieces. No worries, though, we just put it back together and it has worked like a charm ever since.

Next, I always like to let the big dough ball rise a little longer under a small towel. Then I roll it into the biggest circle I can. I get the dough super-thin with the fabulous rolling pin that Kymber gave to Riley for her birthday.

When I have my huge circle, I brush melted butter(about 3/4 of a stick) on the dough, sprinkle it generously with cinnamon and brown sugar. Then, using a pizza cutter, I cut it into 24 pie-shaped pieces.



Starting from the wide end, roll the pieces into crescent-shaped rolls and bake them on a greased pan at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until they look ready.


OK, now for the frosting. This is just your normal cream cheese frosting recipe. Mine goes like this: Soften 4 oz. of cream cheese and 1/2 stick of butter. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk. Mix well and spread on the warm rolls.


Try this one. It is seriously easy and your kids and their friends and the neighbors and the missionaries and your honey will LOVE you.

Comments

Megan said…
Adam almost caught me licking the computer screen. Those look soooo good. Thanks for the idea!
Andrea said…
Those look yummy. Thanks for the recipe, but not for all the calories that come with it. :)
Scrappinwendi said…
Are these the rolls you brought to us minus the cinnamon and frosting? If so, I am running out to buy a bread machine because those rolls are to die for!!! You are such a good cook girl : )
annie said…
Looks like my bread machine will be working overtime when you get here!
Andrea said…
Maybe you could teach me how to use my bread machine when you get here.
Stacy said…
Yum! Your pic made me crave some homemade cinnamon rolls. So guess what I made today?