Bama Bound

Wowee...What an exciting few days we've had. We've made it safely to our Summer Vacation destination and are so so so happy to be here. We'll be here in south Alabama for close to six weeks. Before I go on, hopefully no wierdos are reading this, but just in case... don't get any bright ideas about trying any funny business at our house. #1- We don't own anything you would want. Our TV would require 2 men and a boy to lift and our valuables, namely the kids, are with us. #2- the missionaries are still downstairs #3-our neighbors are observant and #4- Ricky will be back and forth but back most of the time, via airplane, of course. (Someone has got to work around here.)

We've driven from Mobile to Utah many times over the past 15 years. Of course flying is preferable, but when you are transporting this many people and you need something to drive when you get there, driving is the way to go. And we have to admit...our family digs a good road trip. So, we left Thursday night and drove straight to Mobile, only stopping at rest areas along the way to let the kids run around, wash up, and eat some of the picnic food we packed. The drive, depending on the route we take, takes about 30 hours of driving time. With the stops we made, it took us exactly 34. We have this trip down to a science. Ricky and I trade off driving while the other one sleeps. The kids spend a night, a day, and then a night in the car. We pack lots of pillows, books, movies, games and did I mention food? This trip was the best one yet. The kids were troopers. They didn't fight or argue, they enjoyed each other's company and were super-sweet to Gavin when he started getting fussy.
Here we are waiting for Ricky to finish checking out the car after one of our rest area stops. Lance was just taking a break from his car seat while we were stopped and I think Brant held that soccer ball in his lap most of the way.

Trent let Gavin sit with him during a late-night gas stop. We had been in the car for exactly 24 hours at this point and evidently Gavin needed a little pick-me-up.

I took this blurry picture of the GPS when we started heading up I-80 through Parley's Canyon in SLC. In the bottom right corner it says we will turn south in 861 miles.
That was a long night. Our route went like this: Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and then Sweet Home Alabama.

Here's the worst part about making a trip like this: going that long without showering. I'm a shower and wash my hair every day kind of girl. I don't like to go anywhere until I'm clean, blown dry and have make-up on. That's just how I roll. So to say that we were uncomfortably dirty when we arrived in Mobile is an understatement. Our plan was to go straight to Annie's and take showers immediately. When we finally rolled into town, the Emmertsons were attending a Primary activity at the Church so we made plans to meet them there, get their house key, and go clean up at their place. When we pulled into the church parking lot, the kids were so excited to be at their old stomping ground where their friends and cousins were that they convinced me to let them go inside to see everybody. I told them to run in and get Annie, them come right back out. Yeah right. Old friends that we haven't seen in a year and a half started coming outside to welcome us back and then we found ourselves in all our stanky glory inside with our old ward members as we apologized for the smell. It was more than a little embarassing, so I currently have not an ounce of vanity left. It sure was nice to see everybody, though. I love these people.

Saturday night after we showered and unpacked, Annie and I made a quick trip to Sam's Club and then we went to our favorite BBQ dive, Sonny's. Good Times...
Yesterday on our way to church, we drove past the kids old school, my favorite grocery store, the University of South Alabama where Ricky and I spent many happy years going to school, and ended up at the same church building we attended together for 13 years, where Trent was baptized, all of our children were blessed and Ricky served as Bishop for 4 1/2 years.  I asked Annie how long you have to be away from somewhere before it stops feeling like home. I seriously love this place. So many happy memories here. It is such a part of us. 

Then I read The Francis Five blog last night and got a little teary-eyed. We miss our Harvest Hills friends already. So HH 6th girls - blog, OK? Kliss, Laurie, Lyn...pictures of your kids are appreciated. Sleeping, playing, water parties, whatever...Thanks!!! Love y'all....

Comments

violyn said…
So glad you made it safely! We were all outside last night asking each other "do you know if the Benhams made it to Alabama?" Now we know you are there safe. Have a great time!! We miss you. Keep posting pictures.
Megan said…
I'm glad to hear that you guys survived the drive and made it safe and sound. I think your kids need to teach my kids how to ride in the car for long periods of time. We just got back from St. George and I think that Porter whined for about 3 1/2 hours of the drive and Miles got frustrated with his car seat. It would have probably taken us a month to get to Alabama if we drove with our kids!!! Have a fun trip...see you in 6 weeks.
Unknown said…
Jon asked me today if I had heard how your drive went so I told him I would check the blog. I am so glad your trip went well. We miss you here in HH but you have a blast out there.