11-24-11

{Happy Thanksgiving!}

I think the sign says it all: Grateful. I am grateful today for so many things. We had a lovely Thanksgiving Day. I am grateful for such a pleasant day with my loved ones' feet under my table. The highlight of the morning was "facetiming" with the Emmertsons in Alabama. Annie and I showed each other everything we were cooking. I told her that the Paula Deen Mac-n-cheese she was making for the first time looked perfect. She reminded me how to make my first-time corn casserole. The kids excitedly compared turkey and pies. When it was time to set the table, we said "goodbye" and continued our live conversation after the meal, when Taylor played her flute for everyone. Her in Alabama and us gathered around Dave's ipad on our kitchen table in Utah. We are definitely grateful for the technology that makes 2000 miles seem not quite so far.

Riley and Trent set the table while I put the finishing touches on each dish and handed it to them to bring to the Dining Room. With the help of the little boys, I think they did a beautiful job. Trent took this picture before I even saw the table...

After we ate, we drove into the mountains in Heber to cut down our Christmas Tree. We got a permit this year to cut down our own live tree and we were super-excited. This is the snow-covered trail we took...
After parking the car, we took off down the trail on foot and sled...
The smaller tree in the middle was the first one we chose, then we decided to look a little further...
We found several good ones up this little hill and finally settled on a 14 footer a little ways up...
Dave, Ricky, and Trent climbed up to cut it down while the rest of us waited...
Trent took this picture of Ricky cutting down the tree, and the tree falling on him...
That's Ricky under the tree. Luckily, he wasn't hurt.
We wrapped it in the tarp to bring it down the trail...
...and tied it to the top of the car.

Comments