Happy Birthday, Trent

Yesterday Trent turned twelve....
To honor him on this occasion, I thought I would share 12 things I love about him.

But first, here are some highlights:
Sunday, he got to sit down with the Bishop to talk about is worthiness to hold the Aaronic Priesthood. He will be ordained to the office of a Deacon on Sunday, April 13.
He was also assigned to speak in Sacrament Meeting on April 20. The topic- his experience going to the Priesthood Session of General Conference live at the Conference Center on Saturday night with his Dad. (A big "thank you" to Grandma Irene for bringing tickets with her from AL.)
Last but not least on Sunday: Last day of Primary! WooHoo!

Birthday Monday: Grandma Irene came all the way from Alabama to celebrate with us. She wanted to be here for Trent's 12th birthday and to be here when he is ordained. Unfortunately, because of General Conference, he has to wait almost 2 weeks and she won't be able to stay that long. As a mom, it means alot to me that she is here and that Trent knows that she supports him as he enters this new phase in his life.
Trent, Riley and Brant got out of school early so we could all go to the airport to pick her up. (Except Ricky, who was in Park City.) They were all so excited.

Trent told me several weeks ago that he didn't care about having a birthday party and all he wanted for his birthday was a Nintendo DS. So, of course, that's what he got. He wanted to go to Bajio for his birthday dinner and then we came home and had cake. He picked German Chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I had the cake mix and Irene made a yummy chocolate frosting to go on top. (I will never buy store bought chocolate icing again...seriously) Anyway, once we got home form Bajio, and prepared for cake...so much for no party. Several of Trent's friends from the neighborhood came over to celebrate with us. (I couldn't exactly turn them away.) It was better that way - less cake left over for me to eat for breakfast. We had a nice time eating cake and playing Apples to Apples Jr. with all the kids. We didn't get to have FHE, but there's always tomorrow night.

One of our family traditions is that we wake up the birthday kid with a present from each one of his or her siblings. Trent got lots of goodies picked out by Lance, Brant and Riley. Riley and Brant got in bed with him, but Lance isn't much of a morning person and refused to be in any pictures. Gavin wouldn't leave my arms until he got his morning snack.
Here is a video of the lovely singing of the Birthday Song complete with all the party crashers:

OK - now for my 12 things...

1. I have been in love with Trent Richard Benham since the first time I saw him. March 31, 1996 at 6:08 pm. All 9 lbs. 9 0z. and 21 1/2 inches of him. He was and still is perfect. Perfect for us.

2. I love that Trent has a special and unique relationship with his sister and each of his brothers. I know they annoy him sometimes, but he seems to sense that his relationships with them are some of the most important that he will have in this life and in the eternities.

3. I love that Gavin is smitten with Trent. He gets so excited when he sees Trent first thing in the morning and when he comes home from school. One of my favorite memories ever is when Trent held Lance as a newborn and asked him, "So, Lance, are there any more Benham brothers up there for us?" I believe he and Gavin have been buddies for a very long time.

4. I love that Trent will try any food once. And likes most food he's tried. He's never been a picky eater. (Except when he refused to nurse as a newborn. But I'm not mad about that anymore.)

5. Trent is willing to try just about anything once. He even agreed to sit out this soccer season to give baseball a try. I'm sure he'll be great at it. Which brings me to my next item:

6. Trent excells at just about every recreational activity he tries. Especially skiing, biking, fishing, roller blading..........

7. I love that Trent is a loyal friend and attracts and makes friends anywhere he goes.

8. I love that he still lets me kiss him goodnight.

9. I love that Trent is serious about Scouting and enjoys it.

10. I love that Trent's favorite person to spend time with is his Dad.

11. I love that Trent is willing to help anyone with anything.

12. Lastly, I love that he is mine and Ricky and I will get to watch him learn and grow forever. This is gonna be great............

I love you, Buddy, happy birthday.

Comments

annie said…
Thanks alot, Lynne. You made me cry. We miss ya'll like crazy! Trent was the cutest baby ever and I am glad to see that your taste in clothes for him has improved. Ha. Ha.
annie said…
I just added a picture to my profile. I am trying to see if it shows up when I comment.
Nutty Newburns said…
Hey Lynne, we love your blog but nothing could prepare us for this post we can not believe how handsome Trent is and that he is twelve already it really seems like only yesterday he was prophesying of his mommy being pregnant with his brother he always looked like such a little missionary sitting in his little sunbeam chair and now he is going to the priesthood conference with his dad okay need a tissue like annie (that post was awesome too!)I loved the 12 things i think i will borrow that from you one day!!