"On My Honor...

...I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country..."

Trent spent last week at Boy Scout Camp Maple Dell. Friday evening, we drove up there with the Harrells to visit Trent and Jack for Family Night. We sure missed those boys all week after they left on Monday morning.
Here we are walking up to their campsite. We were all very excited to see them. It was a little surprising to find out that they had not been able to bathe since Tuesday because of a "boil order" that had been put on the camp water supply.


I think Trent was most excited to see Gavin.
Of course Lance ran away when he found out we were about to take a picture.
Gavin enjoyed walking around meeting all of the Scouts:

The Brownies we brought were finished off quickly. I don't even want to think about what was lurking under their fingernails. Oh well, I guess being dirty is part of the fun. Look how happy they look. The next morning when the boys were on their way home, Ricky said, "There's gonna be some STANK comin' up in Harvest Hills today!" Here is Harvest Hills Troop 1133:
After we hung out at the camp for a while, we went to the amphitheatre for the Family Campfire. The amphitheatre overlooks the lake and the mountains. It was a beautiful setting for an unforgettable campfire show. I thought we would be treated to a show of silly Boy Scout skits and songs. While there were a few of those, there was so much more. The show was patriotic and reverent. We were reminded that part of Scouting is learning to honor and show repect for our flag, our country and the freedoms that we enjoy as citizens of the United States of America.
I am so glad Trent was able to have this experience, even though we missed him terribly. He enjoyed himself so much and hasn't stopped talking about it since he has been home. Last night, he and I were sitting on the porch swing and he was giving me a minute by minute account of everything he did at camp. While we were sitting out there, a car drove down the street and crushed a plastic bottle that was laying in the middle of the road. Without saying a word, Trent got up, walked into the street, picked up the bottle and put it in the trash can. He then came back, sat down and continued talking about camp. I thought: "Wow! That small act of service was performed out of instinct. How wonderful it is that he is having those values of serving God and his country instilled in him." The future is bright, my friends. Not only because of Trent, but because of all the boys that are led by the example of leaders and others who have come before them.

Comments

Susan said…
Way to go Trent! I know you are a great example to those around you, especially your little brothers=)
annie said…
Everything about that is awesome. Except for the lack of bathing. I asked Bryan about showers at scout camp and he acted like it was no big deal to not take one. Boys are kinda gross. I am just glad you don't have smell-o-blog. By the way, you don't need to cover for Lance not being in the picture. I know you really left him at home.
Andrea said…
I LOVE this blog. I love the pictures, I love the reading about Trent's acts of service and that the future is bright! Thanks for sharing it with us.
And I'm with Annie glad you don't have a smell-o-blog! LOL
Jenny said…
Rik will be pleased to know that he's not the only one who comes home with a "Dirt Moustache" after a long day's work. I like the dirt and kool-aid 'staches