Comfort Food

General Conference Weekend we had our first really cold weather of the fall. With the cold came more rain than I think we've seen the whole time we've lived in Utah. So, while the talks warmed our hearts, we thought we'd make some comfort food to warm our tummies. On the menu: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Fried Green Tomatoes and Bread (from the breadmaker) with Fresh Peach Freezer Jam

Here's how you make Fried Green Tomatoes:
Slice green tomatoes 1/4 inch thick. Prepare a 1:2 ratio of corn meal to flour with salt and pepper to taste. Heat about 1/2 inch oil in skillet. Dip tomato slices in cold water then corn meal mixture. Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
Yum! I can count on two hands the number of times I've fried anything in the 14 years that I've had my own kitchen. (Besides sea creatures in a huge pot on the porch over a propane burner.) Frying is definitely not my favorite way to cook, but some things just HAVE to be fried. Like green tomatoes.
Here is the Peach Jam we made. Unfortunately, it didn't set up - I think the peaches were too juicy, but it's OK because now we have some yummy peach syrup for our Belgian Waffles. (I have a great recipe for those, too.)
I wanted to include this picture because I thought it was funny. Lance said his soup was too hot so he dumped a whole glass of ice in it.

Comments

annie said…
My kind of comfort food can top that. I had Pulled Pork in Dreamland Sauce last night. "Ain't Nothin' like 'Em Nowhere!" But you sure are fancy with all your homemade stuff. You do know they sell Chicken Noodle Soup in a can, right?
Lynne said…
You wrong for that!