I Love Richard Benham

Ok - after my last post, I thought I should set the record straight on a couple of things. No, not about John Parker Wilson - I really do heart him. "Heart" as in...enjoy watching him play football. But, as our friend, Scott, put it: he IS a college kid on the other side of the country. Thanks for the prayers, Scott, I think they have really helped us get through this college-kid-obsessed, Sacrament Meeting Internet surfing slump we've been in.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I sometimes tell Ricky that one of my roles as his wife is to keep him from being too serious and to pick on him a little bit when the situation requires it. That is why I blogged about him checking the College Football rankings at church. I didn't think much about it until last Saturday when I listened to Elder Oaks' talk about reverence in Sacrament Meeting. I started to feel really bad about writing that because here is the truth: Ricky takes reverence in Sacrament Meeting very seriously, for himself and our family. So, I'll tell you the real story. Our ward meets at 1:00. (At least until next Sunday when we meet at 11:00 in the new building. I'll blog about how I "tried to burn the new building down" last night soon enough.) Anywhoo, everybody knows that if you want to get a seat in the chapel as opposed to the overflow or the gym, you have to be there a least 15 minutes early. (Unless the Millers are blessing their baby, then you can forget about it. I'm not picking on them, we love them, best home teacher ever. They just have alot of extended family members. Very cool if you ask me.)

This particular day, the Sunday after the infamous Tide victory over Georgia, it was the Primary Program. From past experience, we knew that if we wanted to be able to see our kids without the use of binoculars, we should probably be 30 minutes early. You see, it is Lance's first year, Riley sang a solo, and Brant is pretty special, too. (There are over 200 kids in our primary and they EACH had a speaking part. Very impressive.) So, we were there at 12:30. Ricky had been in Stake Meetings all morning and he finished up about 10 minutes before we got there so he found himself a comfy chair in the corner of the foyer and checked to see how far Bama had moved up in the polls. When we got there, we filed into our pew and he handed me his phone so I could see. There you have it. Thirty minutes before the meeting started, the organist wasn't even there yet. OK. I feel better. Thanks for reading.

And, Baby, if you find time to read this while you're in PA - I love you so much.....Miss you.....Can't sleep without you.

Comments

Parkes Family said…
Lynne!! I think is to funny about the whole sacrament stuff...you could not help it....Alabama still in you :)
so how cold is getting there yet? Alicia told me that they think they will get some snow soon!!!
I like cold weather...but I think is to soon for that :0
Anonymous said…
Just getting around to reading everyone's blogs. Sorry if you didn't get a cushy seat for Benson's blessing. I am surprised that much of our family was actually there on time! Hilarious posts by the way, and thanks for breaking in the new church like that you church baker!