They really mean it!

For the few people who read my blog that don't live within a half a mile from us...here's a little background. We have a new church building on our street. We've been attending church at the Stake Center which is four houses to the west of us. This new building is on the other end of the street, seven houses to the east. Here's a little visual. These three pictures were taken from the same spot in our neighbor's yard across the street:
Our House:

The Stake Center:The new church: (And, yes, that is snow on Mount Timpanogos.)Last Tuesday night, we got to have our first Enrichment Meeting at the new church. It was great, by the way. Thanks to all the Sisters who came, we hope you had a nice evening. We invited the Young Women and for one of the parts of the activity, we learned a few things you can make with cake mixes, besides cakes of course. Beforehand, we provided the girls with a cake mix and a recipe and they were kind enough to bring their finished product for the refreshments. A few minutes before I left for the activity, one of the girls called to tell me that some family members were sick and she had not been able to make her cookies. I said, "No problem, I'll just stop by your house on my way to pick up your cake mix and I'll make/"warm" the cookies at the church."

When Riley and I got to the church, we went to the kitchen right away and preheated the oven. Then we went around turning on lights and unlocking doors. By this time, our Enrichment Leader arrived with her girls and we returned to the kitchen to discover a strange smell. One of the girls opened the oven and smoke quickly filled the kitchen. It seems that whoever unpacked the kitchen had neglected to remove the packing materials from the inside of the oven, and stupid me, didn't think about it either. So, we opened the door that leads outside hoping that the smoke would clear, but instead the smoke alarm started going off. The alarm must have been audible for miles because (Don't forget this church is in the middle of the neighborhood.) people started coming from all directions to see what the problem was. About this time, three fire trucks showed up and we had to evacuate the building, but not before I threw the cookie ingredients back into my bag so they wouldn't know I was planning on baking something. A little while later, we were allowed to reenter the building and the activity went on as planned.

So, that's the story of the two church buildings within a stone's throw of our house and how I tried to burn down one of them.

Comments

Laurie said…
I'd check the ward list next Sunday and make susre your still on it! :)
Lynne said…
That's not funny, Laurie. I just hope I'm on your's.
DeVries Family said…
We heard the fire trucks and somehow knew you would be involved...just teasin...
We didn't hear a thing! You are ALWAYS trying to help people out! What a woman!
Stacy said…
It's all good. Who hasn't done something like that before? I once caused an evacuation of the admin. bldg at UVSC...people eventually forget :)
The Dragonfly said…
Hilarious story Lynne! I've got a serious beef with whomever made that rule about only warming things at the church. It's putting a serious cramp on my style and idea to have cooking classes for the Laurels! Ugg.