I'm taking that as a compliment...


(Elders Diaz and Bowers on Christmas)

This morning one of our favorite missionaries, Elder Diaz, left for his new assignment in Orem. Elder Diaz came to us back in November so he spent all of the holidays with us and we've gotten kindof attached to him. He often told us that this was his favorite place he has lived on his mission. I guess because we are so cool and fun. Right?

After he loaded his bags into the car he came back inside to say "goodbye" to me and Gavin. He said, "Sister Benham, thanks for everything. And tell the kids goodbye and thanks for being so cool. And tell Brother Benham thanks for being so...."

"So Brother Benham?" I finished for him.

"Yeah," he said, "someone's got to keep order around here."

(Elders Carpenter and Diaz on Thanksgiving)

(Bowers and Diaz on New Year's Eve)
What? Order? What was that supposed to mean? So, I decided to take it as a compliment. But it is something I've been thinking about lately. Am I too permissive? Is there too much fun and not enough discipline and order at our house? It's definitely something I'll take into consideration. Maybe I should try to be more serious, but then again, if our children remember anything from the years they lived in our home, I'd love for it to include some fun.....right?
OK, take last night for example - we finished reading scriptures and Ricky took Gavin upstairs to put him to bed. The others were supposed to follow, but then the missionaries came home and Trent shot a nerf dart at one of them, and one thing led to another and we had an all-out nerf gun war on our hands. (We have quite an arsenal of nerf guns. I mean....super-fun, right?) So, it was 10:30 at night on a school night....









Comments

Jim and Merry said…
Okay, so maybe I'm a little biased, but imho, your house and the amount of fun/order/spirituality/craziness/discipline is perfect. So it was 10:30 at night on a school night. Memorable nerf battles with missionaries who live in the basement are way way way better and more important that getting to bed on time every single night. Especially when those fun times are soon to come to an end, as Riley turns the magic age of twelve and the mish can no longer live at your house. So, you rock. If anybody disagrees just send 'em to yo mama!
Sue said…
Lynne, you are officially a Rock Star Mom. Just get yourself a little toll painted plaque bearing your title and display it with a big ol' print of Trent and Elder Diaz attacking in the kitchen.

Miss you! I might be coming down the first weekend in March. I'll call you so we can hang out.