A Few Random Thoughts.....broken camera, Fussball, and a new calling...

*My camera is broken. It actually still takes pictures, but none of the buttons on the back work. So when I turn it on, before I can take a picture, I have to wait several minutes for it to get out of this weird screen when I would normally just push a button and it would be ready to take a picture. Maybe I'll get a new one soon, or maybe I'll just wait until Annie gets here next week and I'll just use hers, which is just like mine. (Thanks to Stace.) So, that is why I haven't taken or posted any pictures of the one thing that has occupied almost ALL of our freetime over the past few weeks: sports. Trent's playing baseball and Riley and Brant are playing soccer. Which brings me to my next random thought...........
*Our Soccer Team ROCKS! I'm talking here about Brant's team. (Although Riley's team is pretty awesome, too, but I'm not her coach.) I accidently signed up to coach Brant's team this season and I'm so glad I did. We are having a great time. The city set up the teams geographically, so 8 of the 10 kids on our team, who happen to be boys, live right around us and are in our ward. They have really figured out how to play together as a team and we are undefeated so far. Watch, now we'll probably start losing since I pointed that out. We only have two more games left, though, so hopefully they can hang in there. It is going to be really fun to watch these first-graders grow up together. I hope they all keep playing soccer, because they are really good at it. By the way, it really was an accident. When I registered Brant for soccer online, there was a box you could check if you were willing to be a coach. I debated whether or not I should and finally talked myself out of it. Well, I must have checked the box and then forgot to uncheck it, because a couple weeks later, I got a call telling me when the coach's meeting was. See why I don't trust the internet?
*And last, but not least, timewise, I got a new calling last week. Enrichment Counselor in Relief Society. I wasn't going to blog about it, but there are some things I'd like to share with anyone who reads my blog. I have met and been fortunate enough to learn from some truly amazing women in my life. I have been blessed to be surrounded by unwavering examples of Christlike qualities. My mom and my sisters taught me much about life and continue to be an example to me on many subjects too numerous to mention. Since I have been married, my mother-in-law, Irene, has taught me all about cooking and has been a quiet example of unconditional love. Sister Wilson taught me to sew. Sister Strenth taught me how to remove stains, crochet, can vegetables and anything else I would listen to her explain. I remember that one older lady who DEMONSTRATED how to kill a chicken by wringing it's neck all those years ago at that Stake Relief Society Sleepover in Grove Hill. Am I the only one who was scarred by that experience?
Anyway, probably the most constant examples of all have been the friends I have made along the way. I am lucky enough to have two sets of friends: my new friends and my old friends. My new friends are the wonderful neighbors and "sister-friends" that I have now. My old friends are the girls that I left in 'Bama. A truly steadfast group of women who I have known, some of them, since we were teenagers. These women have seen eachother get married, have children, and are enjoying the experience of raising their children together, learning from eachother as they go. I have wished many times that my old friends and new friends could meet eachother, that we could all get together and have a big party so that each of you could see how awesome the other ones are. I know the party isn't possible, but you can still meet eachother. When you have a few minutes and want to meet a really great gal, go to my blog links and click on a name that you don't recognize, then click on another one. Leave a comment if you'd like. Mobile girls, meet the Harvest Hills girls. Harvest Hills girls, meet the Mobile girls. You won't be disappointed. I have a true and deep Sister-love for all of you.
And how did my new calling bring me to all of that? I don't know, I guess it's the Relief Society that brings us all together.

Comments

Andrea said…
Lynne, I love your last two blogs. You and Ricky look like little kids in that picture :). It's so sweet.
And this blog really touched me. It almost brought tears to my eyes because it brought back a lot of wonderful memories, and many of those same women have helped shaped me. You are such a wonderful example and I know the sisters in your ward will truly be blessed by you in your new calling and that in their journal entries your name will be mentioned as someone who helped them grow closer to the Lord both spiritually and in developing their talents.
It's funny that you mention the wringing of the chickens neck. Recently, I was telling someone about that. I too was traumatized and I'm so glad I don't have to do that on a daily basis. That seemed like sooo long ago.
You are missed here greatly, but I know your family is being blessed in Utah as are all the new families who are being blessed by your sweet family.
Oh, and it's funny. I do read the blogs from your "new" friends. I figure if they are a friend of yours, they must be pretty awesome ,and there is probably something I can learn from them. Sorry to make this post so long. But isn't that so like me? LOL
Parkes Family said…
Hey Lynne!!! I love your blog, you know me I keep saying I will do a blog...sometime!!!
I'm to worry about my spelling and I though.. oh well I'm just gonna go ahead and do it...and I must confess I do read some of your friends blogs like Andrea said, I know they must be great women to have as friends!!!!
I love to see a lot of the funny stuff that people write about and my favorites are about family.
one thing I have notice and all the blog is how busy we all are as a mothers,wifes , but how much we all love our family, that's why I dicide to do a blog that my children can know somethings about me that probably I think they are not importan to me, but it may be importan to them,... I know I better stop I'm getting to cheesy,I'm just glad to have you as a friend!! I hope we can see you this summer!!
Lisanka :)
annie said…
I get to count myself as the lucky one to meet the new friends. After we buy the houseboat and hot air balloon, we will buy a private plane and bring Utah friends to Alabama to meet all the wonderful people that I still get to live around.
About the chicken thing--totally traumatizing. But to me, the thing that burned my eyes the worst was watching all the women with pantyhose, that had an orange in the bottom,tied around their waists, doing pelvic thrusts for some wierd game. I don't remember what the game was, I just remember that at 20 years old I made the decision to never to to another RS campout.
Andrea said…
Hey, Annie I know this is Lynne's blog, but you mentioned flying all of the Utah friends to Alabama. Can I make a request can you fly all the Alabama friends to Utah--that may be the only way I get there. LOL. I guess I'm taking it upon myself to assume that I AM one of your Alabama friends!:)
Jim and Merry said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.