We have ARRIVED!

Several years ago, I was talking to my sister, Stacey, on the phone and she mentioned that she and Rich were going out that night. I said, "Oh, y'all got a babysitter." And she said, "No, I grew a babysitter," refering to the fact that their oldest child, Ashli, was old enough to babysit her brothers. Well, it seems that Ricky and I have grown a couple of little babysitters of our own.

Last week when Ricky was in Pittsburgh, a few of my friends that I get together with occasionally for Girls Night Out suggested that we go out that week to The Cheescake Factory. Wednesday night worked for everyone and I really wanted to go, but wasn't sure what I would do about a babysitter. Trent had Scouts that night and wouldn't be home until about 8:30. We had never left the kids home alone for more than a few minutes when we have gone to the grocery store. I got to be thinking that Riley was probably old enough to watch her brothers. She has babysat some for a few of our neighbors, but that has always been with me home and just a few minutes away if there was an emergency. But I decided to go for it and she did great. I called to check on her at about 8:30 and she said everything was fine and she had even gotten Gavin to sleep, no problem. Trent came home soon after that and they held down the fort together until I got home a little later than I thought I would. I was so excited about it because I knew that opened up a whole world of possibilities for Ricky and me.

So Friday night, Riley and Trent watched their brothers so Ricky and I could go out, and once again, they proved how awesomely responsible they are. I did something I learned a few years ago from my friend, Helen, when she and Daren started leaving their kids home alone. I told them they were having a party and that they would probably have as much fun as we were having. I put a bunch of their favorite party food out on the bar, turned on a movie, gave them a cell phone with mine and Ricky's numbers and a few of the neighbor's numbers programmed in and ...we left.

When we got home it was so peaceful. Gavin and Lance were asleep and Trent, Riley and Brant were watching TV on one of the few channels they know they can watch. Yay!

So that is how I became the proud Mama of two very responsible babysitters.

Note to any freaky psycho people out there who think they want to hurt my children: My neighbors are watching you!

Comments

Andrea said…
YAY! Way to go Trent and Riley. I'm looking for that day to arrive for us. Unfortunately, I think it will be longer for us. Cecily and Ariel would be fighting about who is in charge. There is no way Cecily would allow for Ariel to babysit her. We don't so much have to worry about someone harming them, but them harming each other.
Unknown said…
yup, I am down the street but if they needed me I would totally kick some *@#!. Or maybe I would send my husband. I can be pretty mean, small but mean.
Unknown said…
I hope you don't take that last comment the wrong way.
Maelynn
Kelli said…
How exciting!! Now it can be date night all the time, yoohoo :)