Mrs. Cannon

I can't let the school year end without writing about what a great year this has been for Brant. He has progressed so much academically, it completely amazes me. I feel like I owe the world to his teacher, Mrs. Cannon.

I was so worried about him at the beginning of the year. He wasn't reading very well. (only a few sight words.) And his writing was unreadable. In spite of all the work we had done at home, I felt like he hadn't made any progress in Kindergarten. I had just accepted the fact that maybe he was just slower than Trent and Riley had been, and that was OK because he has many other wonderful qualities that would carry him far in life, I hoped.

Then we were blessed with Mrs. Cannon. At our first meeting, she enthusiastically told me how much she loved teaching first grade and that I would be amazed at the progress Brant would make. A few weeks into the school year, he just started reading anything and everything he could get his hands on. He had found the confidence he needed to sound out any word he wanted to. Mrs. Cannon says she had nothing to do with it, but that he was just ready. I credit her for patiently encouraging him and giving him the confidence I had tried so hard to give him, but somehow couldn't. His spelling improved right along with his reading. Around Christmastime, as if overnight, he turned a corner with his handwriting and it was as if a different child had suddenly taken over. Before first grade, math seemed to be his niche, and that improved, too. In fact, toward the end of the year, we found that he could do the same math Riley was bringing home.

I have experienced alot of teachers with my children. And I have to say that all in all, we have had some really good ones. But every so often, I think the Lord smiles down on our family and sends us just the right teacher at the right time. Becki Jo Cannon has been just that teacher for Brant and we are forever indebted to her for so many reasons. If I had to name just one quality she has that made the difference, it would be the feeling of love and acceptance that each child feels when they come into her class. I believe it is in that environment that a child gains the confidence to reach a little deeper inside themselves and rise to the high expectations that she has for them. It sure has been that way for Brant.

The even happier ending to this little first grade story is that Brant has done so well this year that Mrs. Cannon was able to recommend him for the Spanish Immersion Program, which he was accepted into. So, for the next 5 years, from 2nd through 6th grade, he will have the exciting opportunity to be "immersed" in the Spanish language by being taught almost completely in Spanish. He is very excited about it and so are we.

We found out a couple of weeks ago that Mrs. Cannon has taken a job in Wyoming and won't be back at Harvest Elem. next year. I wish I could just adopt her into our family and keep her around forever, but I can't. So, I'm happy for all of the other students that will have the priviledge of being in her class in the years to come. And we are happy for all of the families who will have their lives blessed by such an amazing lady.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Mrs. Cannon. We love you. May God bless you and your family.

Comments

Andrea said…
Way to go Brant for getting into the Spanish Immersion Program at your school. That sounds so cool. What a great opportunity!
It truly is a blessing to get those special teachers who really go the extra mile in their jobs. We have been blessed with some of those too. Your post was really sweet. I hope his teachers sees it!